Ardara 2-9 Four Masters 1-5

Ardara must have felt it wasn’t to be their day when they lost goalkeeper Ciaran Gildea to injury in the warm-up and Reserve keeper Patrick Gavigan through injury after 22 minutes. Oisin Brennan took over and was never really troubled for the remainder of the game.

It was a cold, windswept day which resulted in the proverbial game of two halves. Four Masters, with the wind in the first half, must have been disappointed to turn around only two points to the good.

Four Masters struck first with a monster point from Conor McDaid but Ardara worked hard against the wind and had the next two points from Lorcan O’Donnell and CJ Molloy. McDaid hit two more from play and one from Conor McMonagle took Four Masters 2 points clear.

A Kevin McBrearty 45 was fumbled in the Ardara goalmouth on the 22nd minute and after discussion with the umpire a goal was awarded. The Ardara keeper was injured in the scramble and had to be replaced. This was followed by another long-range point from a free by McDaid to put Masters 6 clear on 25 minutes.

It didn’t look enough in the conditions to keep Ardara at bay for the second half but injury time in the first half proved very costly for Masters. First a good point on the run from Lorcan O’Donnell and then a goal on the rebound from CJ Molloy. Four Masters were incensed with the goal as it looked like John Boyle was body-checked off the ball in the lead-up but the referee took no action.

Conditions worsened during half-time with rain coming down heavily from the town end. Four Masters found it very difficult to get out of their own half with the wind taking the ball backwards from any kicked pass. Short handpassing and carrying the ball was the only strategy available but this carried high risk.

The only surprise was that it took Ardara 15 minutes to take the lead. Points by Lorcan O’Donnell, Declan Gavigan and Gareth Concarr took Ardara into the lead for the first time and there didn’t seem any way back for Four Masters.

On the 22nd minute Ardara turned over the ball in midfield and broke away to leave Gareth Concarr to finish to the net.  This was followed by points from Lorcan O’Donnell (2) and Shane O’Donnell to see the game out.

ARDARA: Patrick Gavigan – Joe Melly, Declan Gavigan (0-1), Paddy McGrath – Brian Whyte, Kenneth Doherty, John Ross Molloy – Shane O’Donnell (0-1), Conor Classon – Lorcan O’Donnell (0-4), CJ Molloy (1-1), Danny Walsh – Gareth Concarr (1-2), Brendan McNelis, Tomas Boyle. Subs: Oisin Brennan for Gavigan; Matthew Maher for K Doherty; Jack Brennan for B McNelis; Nicholas Maguire for T Boyle; Peter McHugh for Concarr.

FOUR MASTERS: Martin Cassidy – Cathal Canavan, Conor Rooney, Brian Fegan – John Boyle, Dylan Kennedy, Kevin Breslin – Patrick Reid, Kevin McBrearty (1-0, 45) – Conor McMonagle (0-1), Aaron McCrea, Jamie Crawford – Conor McDaid (0-4,1f), Oisin Reid, Emmet Doogan. Sub: Barry Dunnion for Emmett Doogan ht, Odhran Quinn for Jamie Crawford 50

REFEREE: Niall McCready (Aodh Ruadh)

Ardara Reserves 0-6                       Four Masters Reserves 2-1